19 September 2011

Emmy's Best and Worst Dressed 2011

First, the best of the night:
Cobie Smulders of How I Met Your Mother was bright and colorful in a Alberta Ferretti gown. We don't often see her on red carpets but this makes me wish we did!

Kelly Osbourne is wearing a J Mendel gown that is strapped and wrapped to perfection on her cute little self.

Olivia Munn in Carolina Herrera. Folks, green is a hard color to wear under theatrical lights and on camera sometimes. But damn she wears it well.

I know, Sofia Vergara never looks bad. She can't. But holy hell this is one of my favorites for her. It's pulled and gathered and draped in all the right places. Vera Wang does it right.

Love love love Connie Britton and I really would have loved to see her win. However, this beautiful gown by Maria Lucia Hohan made me feel a little bit better. You know how I'm always saying a color has to be right for your skin tone for an outfit to work? Perfect example!


Maria Bello in an illuminating number by Kaufman Franco. It's a nice change from the super intense, dark, gritty TV spots we keep seeing her in for her upcoming show.

I could be mistaken and it might just be the lighting, but that shawl collar on John Cryer's tux looks very leather to me. And if that's the case, John just jumped up about 10 spots on the cool scale. His handling of recent events bumps him up even more so.

OK, now it's time for the...not so good:
Joel, Joel, Joel. I love you. I truly do. And I applaud the notion behind the white dinner jacket. And I know you look better than this. But somehow the man ends up looking more like Conan O'Brien. You can't wear pants that tight when your legs are that damn long. Also, your skin is super pale and the white skin on white shirt on white jacket on white background is just too much.

Again, Amy, I love you. But this Peter Strom dress looks like a wet suit from the hips up.

This is just...odd. Julianna Margulies in a Giorgio Armani Prive column gown. It looks like someone hot-glued big fat jewels from Hobby Lobby onto it.

And finally we have Melissa McCarthy. Honey, you're better than this! That thing looks like it came off the rack at Pennies. It's matronly and gross and it looks like it came from the set of Dynasty and your stylist needs to rethink things. ...And I literally just read that she made it herself and now I feel bad! OK. In that case, not bad at all. But maybe leave that sort of thing to smaller, non-televised events. I speak from experience, designing for yourself is the hardest design in the world! You don't have the perspective someone else does.

No comments: